I recently read an opinion piece in the ST about how Americans are starting to feel discouraged by the breakdown of the marriage institution in the States with a recent spate of high-profile breakups. Maybe not many people here watch Jon and Kate Plus 8, but I actually follow the show whenever I can (it airs on weekdays at 11am on SCV Ch16). It's pretty amazing how this couple can take care of 8 kids (a pair of twins and a group of sextuplets). Imagine my dismay when I read on the ST story that the couple have called it quits recently. My first thought was, what'll happen to the poor kids now? Even while growing up, I've seen my fair share of friends/relatives coming from broken families. And perhaps that's why I've become cynnical in the marriage instituition. Often, the children suffers the most when it's not their fault. So if you are planning to start a family, please be less selfish and more responsible. Otherwise, don't have kids if you decide to get married. Don't be tempted by what the Singapore government offers in exchange for more babies.
"He's two and she's four and you know they adore you. So how can I tell them you've changed your mind?"
No comments:
Post a Comment