Friday, June 20, 2008

How do you get pissed off with a country that is highly developed and corrupt-free?

One of the reason why I chose to go on exchange was to make myself miss Singapore and cherish the things on this tiny island. In short, I was trying to find out what makes Singapore tick. But increasingly, since coming back, I've seen alot more things about Singapore that made me wonder why the bloody hell am I still not packing up my bags and leaving this God-forsaken country to the inefficiencies and idiosyncracies of the ever-complex adminstrations and bureaucracies (where everything is as complex as Dickens' Jarndyce and Jarndyce). My uni is such a microcosm of the entire Singapore system, and frankly, without going into too much details but that it involves subject registration (because then again you have to always watch your back even and especially online), I am starting to get terribly sick of the whole damn thing. And school hasn't even started for me.

Even the Indonesian government may be more efficient if you have the right amount of money in your pocket.

Sigh, I'm so livin' la vida lil' red dot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Yi Wen,

You tend to feel that way when you've seen a place where you found yourself, where you found new meaning & purpose to life.

I hope you'll be able to get through this. You'll always find yourself comparing, and most of the time, you'll just be very frustrated and unhappy about why things are like that in Sg. Hopefully you'll find some peace somehow, someway.

Yi Wen said...

Hi Su San! How have you been? Thanks for the encouragement but sigh, I'm really sick of the way my school deals with such things most of the time. It's a very long and complicated story, but I hope I've spoken out enough for them to take some action. Singaporeans love to complain I know, but I really see no sense in the ways things are being carried out in my school. I really think that I can run it better than what is being currently done right now. Which really says alot about the whole system...

Anonymous said...

Haha yeah because Singaporeans tend to complain a lot, sometimes these people take feedback very lightly; no matter how constructive they may be.

That's one thing I really like about Melbourne. I've opened my eyes to see that it is possible to voice out your opinions in a mature way and get somebody to look through your suggestion and see whether it can be incorporated in a way or another. Yes, they might take a little long to reply you sometimes because they are very relaxed people, but they do make the effort to thank you for your feedback and encourage you to continue doing so.

I don't exactly know what system frustrations you are going through but I can tell that it really is eating you up. Though I want to tell you to be hopeful that what you tell them will be taken into consideration, having lived in Singapore for a bit, I kinda think that it is not highly likely. So I just hope you'll be able to settle what you need and just get out of the system really soon.